Thursday, September 24, 2009

Return to Running

I am entered in the Komen Race for the Cure 5KM in Boston in 2 days, on September 24th.

This will be my first race since November, 2006, and my first race since my big knee surgery (an autologous chondrocyte implantation (ACI) of the patella and trochlea in April, 2007).

I fully anticipate I will run a "personal worst" since I really haven't run much at all since I was given the OK by my surgeon to try some running at my 2 year followup visit this past April.

Indeed, my longest run has been 5K last Saturday (so at least I know I can make it 5K).

Having run competitively or semi-competitively from age 15 to age 46, I've really missed it.

But I also have some anxiety about it, since I'm by no means sure I'm really going to be able to successfully return to running.

So, I've decided to share my story in this blog. I'm hoping it may be of interest to others who may be trying to return to athletic activity after a surgery, and injury, or just a long layoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment