Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Bit Discouraged...

I ran the BAA 5K today, and I'd have to say it did not go well.  I felt pretty unfit from the gun, and struggled to the finish in 23:53.  As I look back on it, I probably should have started a little slower, as I hit the mile in 7:13 and showed down from there.  The race started near the Boston Public library, then looped around the Common and back to the start area.  I felt so rotten I seriously thought about just stopping there, but decided that would just make me feel worse, so I continued to shuffle along.

My knee didn't hurt (although it feels a little stiff as I type this), but I guess I just am not running enough miles to expect to be able to race.

Having said that, I think I will try again on June 6 at the Schofield School 5K (my son attends Schofield).

Maybe the problem was the barefoot running.  The day before the race, I went to a barefoot running demo at City Sports in Boston, which featured Dr. Dan Lieberman of Harvard and Chris McDougal, author of Born to Run.  I recommend the book, if you haven't read it; it is a very good read.  I found the session very interesting, and we did go for a brief barefoot run.

Looks like nice running weather for the Boston marathoners tomorrow.  I am going to the Sox game, but will head over to the race course after to watch for some friends who are running.

No comments:

Post a Comment