Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Race, 2009

I ran in the Boston Volvo Village 5K today. I would characterize it as real struggle - I really felt out of shape & like I was struggling the whole time. When a guy near me started walking at about the 1 mile mark, I was very tempted to join him.

I finished in 23:37, my 2nd slowest 5K every (on the plus side, it was 1:23 faster than my race last month, my slowest ever). So, I think I need to get some miles into the legs before trying another race.

It was a pretty good turnout for the race - over 1100.

It was 20 years ago that I ran one of my more memorable races, the Feaster Five of 1989, which took place in a blizzard. I recall driving over the race, slipping & sliding on the unplowed roads. I assumed I'd get there and find the race was canceled, but there were several hundred other crazy souls. I recall that it was difficult to decide whether to run in the deep snow, or in the tracks from the few cars that had been on the roads, although the tracks were quite slippery. As I went around a corner onto the last straightaway, I actually slipped & fell pretty hard, but the snow was deep & soft, so no harm done.

2 comments:

  1. Sully,
    Good to see you out there giving it your best. Look ahead to more miles and your time will drop. What was your time in that memorable blizzard race in 1989?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave. I'm surprised how sore my thighs are today - I am really not in shape!

    Per my race notes, I ran "about 35 minutes" in '89 in the blizzard. I guess I didn't get an official time.

    ReplyDelete